The Spur has been the Trademark of Edwin Blyde & Co. Ltd for some 130 years when one of the Blyde family joined the Company straight from a Cavalry Division of the British Army.Blyde's history can be traced back as far as the 18th century when one of its main activities was the manufacture of Pewterware. Blyde's manufacturing started when steam power and belt driven motors were used, when candle and oil were the only means of light, through the torrid times of world wars.Our progress in the manufacture of finest quality Pewterware has taken great strides and as one of theleading manufacturers of Pewterware in the world we are conscious of our fine heritage and of thecity we represent.The Sheffield City Council desirous of preserving Sheffield'sreputation for craftsmanship ahd high quality wished to accord itstribute to manufactures and goods which are recognised for thesequalities. Therefore, acting upon advice the City Council has been pleased to approve the Coatof Arms of the City of Sheffield in association with specified products manufactured solely inSheffield by Edwin Blyde & Co Ltd.The Worshipful Company of Pewters, which is 16th in order of precedence in theCity of London, was granted a Royal Charter by King Edward IV in 1473.This charter allowed the Company to set and enforce standards and toregulate the pewter trade throughout England.
A resurgence in Pewter during the last century can in the main be attributed to the formation in 1970 of the Association of British Pewter Craftsmen (ABPC). The initiative was taken by a group of manufacturers, the metal suppliers and the Worshipful Company of Pewterers. By promoting high standards, raising awareness of pewter and encouraging innovation and excellence in manufacturing, ABPC has achieved impressive results and together with the Pewterers Company has helped to establish British Pewter firmly in both domestic and worldwide markets.